In this picture....is all the ingredients I add before processing....there are nuts that I chopped a little before adding...Italian parsley...lots of basil...a little salt...lots of garlic..and a handful of Parmesan. I blend this a little before adding the oil.
This is the yummy goodness after I have added olive oil...I add a little less than I should. At this point...the smell is almost overwhelming...fresh, savory goodness!!!
Here is the reason I add a little less oil, than I should when blending. A trick I learned from Cirrus....after basil is blended, it does not like the air. So, when putting it in containers to use later, drizzle olive oil on top...just a little to create an oil layer...it protects the basil and keeps it fresh. I froze a couple batches this morning...but this one is in the fridge to use later this week. I have left it in the fridge for a week and it was still amazing! Pesto chicken and pasta is a true Temple family fave....Lee grills some chicken (then cuts it into strips), I make the pasta (whatever kind we have) and then we combine it all together with the pesto and more parmesan cheese.
Jeanine's Perfect Pesto
Basil...fresh, a whole bunch (enough leaves to equal about 3 cups)
Italian Parsley...also fresh, leaves only...about a cup (to your taste)
Garlic....I use 2-4 cloves, peeled and cut in half
Salt...about a teaspoon, and Pepper if you like
Parmesan cheese....about 1/2 cup or more...to your taste...and to be honest, today I used Parm from the bulk section of Winco.
Walnuts....chopped, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup (you can substitute whatever nut you want, I chose walnuts because they are more affordable than pinenuts, today I did half walnuts and half brazil nuts, pick something you like)
Olive oil....I would love to say I use the expensive stuff...but I don't. I use what ever is cheapest since I use a lot of it, a cup or more.
Pulse the nuts just a little in the food processor, before adding the basil, parsley, garlic, S&P, and cheese. I blend everything but the oil for a moment too...then drizzle in the oil through the chute in the processor...add it until you get the consistency you prefer.
If serving later, drizzle a little oil on top, to keep it fresh. This recipe makes enough for 3 meals..more or less depending on how you use it. I spooned some into freezer bags (make sure you get all the air out) for use later. This recipe is easy to tweak to your own taste...not enough basil?..add some spinach. Experiment with different nuts.
ENJOY!!!



No comments:
Post a Comment