Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Chicken and Spinach Tortellini Soup....YUM!



So...It is pretty obvious I love soup!  We have lived in some chilly places and I love the warmth of soup!  I have been tearing recipes out of magazines like a crazy woman lately, and tried this one last night.  WOW!!  It is the simplest soup I have ever made and it was wonderful!!!

Chicken and Spinach Tortellini Soup



1 1/2 Cups sliced fresh mushrooms.....YES...I left these out...gross!
2 Tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cans reduced sodium chicken broth (I used 1 1/2 boxes of broth, reduced sodium and non fat)
1 9oz package refrigerated cheese tortellini (I used frozen, less $$ and you get enough left over to make the soup again)
4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (I baked three chicken breast, less $$ same result)
1 pkg/6oz of fresh baby spinach (I  chopped half a bundle of regular spinach)
1/2 tsp pepper
Parmesan cheese for sprinkling

In a soup pot, saute mushrooms in butter until tender.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer

Add broth to pot and bring to a boil.  Stir in tortellini, return to a boil.  Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tortellini is tender, stirring occasionally.  Add chicken, spinach and pepper (I also added some seasoning salt (1/2tsp), because I thought the broth may be bland, I also added a little garlic powder too...I love garlic) heat the soup to desired temperature.

Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan.

It made 4 good sized bowls of soup....both guys loved it as well..although Elliott did not like the spinach.

It is a simple soup, less than 30 minutes if you have the chicken cooked already.  Perfect for the cooler days we have been having!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment